There are several key members of staff at The Vineyard who you can talk to about your child’s difficulties with learning/ Special Educational Needs or disability:
Mrs Charlotte Axbey
Assistant Headteacher - Inclusion, Children and Families
- Coordinating the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities(SEND), maintaining and developing the school’s SEND policy and other statutory communication.
- Monitoring the progress of all children with special educational needs and ensuring that communication with parents is accessible, frequent and responsive.
- Ensuring that staff are trained and equipped to meet the needs of children with SEND through providing advice, training and access to continuous professional development.
- Together with the headteacher and school business manager, ensuring that the financial provision for children with SEND is met and managed effectively.
- Updating and reporting on the school’s register of learners with SEND and ensuring that tracking and record systems are in place to evidence progress and provision.
- Liaising with external agencies that come into school to support children with SEND and ensuring that information, targets and outcomes are clear and accessible to parents and children.
- Specialist assessment for learners with specific learning or literacy difficulties.
- Provision and planning for access arrangements where learners have physical disability or environmental challenge.
- Ensuring that access to technological and physical aids is in place and that staff are confident with these.
- Overseeing and managing the risk assessments for children with SEND.
Mrs Ruth Whymark
- The day to day management of all aspects of the school, this includes the support for children with SEND.
- Ensuring that the Governing Body is kept up to date with issues both within the school and those that relate to external initiatives that relate to SEND.
- Ensuring that the ethos of the school reflects inclusive practice.
Mrs Melanie Bywell
- To be the key point of contact on the full governing body for matters in relation to SEND policy and procedures.
- To keep up to date with national and local policy development in SEND.
- To bring any changes in these policies to the attention of the relevant committee for discussion and action as appropriate.
- To maintain an on-going relationship with the key member(s) of the Vineyard Leadership Team responsible for SEND.
- To ensure their own knowledge about the designated policy area is up to date by attending appropriate training provided by the local authority and other agencies. To flag up any general training opportunities in this area to the nominated Governor for training.
- To liaise with the Chair of the linked governing body committee to ensure sufficient time is set aside for discussion and review of the designated policy area issues on the agenda of this committee.